Wondering how we stay healthy here at Live Fit? Our Dietitian recommends these tips for keeping our waist line trim and our body fully charged!
- Aim for at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Think about the colors of the rainbow and try to get different colors of fruits and vegetables with each meal/snack.
- For example, red raspberries with breakfast, orange carrots as a snack, yellow pepper with hummus with lunch, green kale chips as a snack, purple eggplant with dinner.
- Eat more beans, lentils and whole grains.
- Rinse canned beans with water to reduce sodium. Check the ingredient list on food packages and look specifically for the word "whole".
- Eat less red meat.
- Try replacing red meat with things like eggs, poultry, fish, peas, soy-based foods, nuts and nut butters, low fat dairy products.
- Limit red meat to only two meals per week.
- Keep salt intake to a minimum (less than 2300 milligrams per day).
- Avoid using the salt shaker or adding soy sauce to you dish.
- Eat more meals at home! Processed foods and restuarant foods contain more salt. Use fresh ingredients at home with spices and herbs.
- Replace your snacks with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Check the food label for sodium content.
- Limit your sugar and sugary beverage intake.
- Excess sugar can come from things like honey, syrups, and jelly.
- Limit sweet treats to 1-2 per week, like cookies, cake, ice cream, donuts.
- Replace juices and soda with water or zero calorie flavored water.
Along with diet, regular exercise is just as important for maintaining a healthy weight. Exercise keeps our muscles activated and engaged and prevents our bodies natural decline in function as we age. In the beginning, start small! Aim for a quick 10 minute walk each day and then increase it as the weeks go by. Don't forget to do regular strength building exercises and stretching to keep you flexible :-)
About the Author
Back to Posts