Our metabolisms are often blamed for weight gain, or failed weight loss attempts and they can definitely play a role; therefore Live Fit Personal Training + Nutrition wants to share some tips with you on how to boost your metabolism! First, what is metabolism?
Metabolism is the process by which our bodies convert what we eat into the energy we need to survive and function. Your metabolism is based on how much energy your body need to complete its daily functions. Next, what are factors naturally affect your metabolism?
Finally, what are tips to boost your metabolism?
- As you age, your muscle mass decreases which causes your metabolism to slow down.
- Body Size & Body Composition. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn.
- Men generally have more muscle mass than woman which burns more calories
- Your genetics have a role in your metabolism.
- Regular physical activity. The more you move, the more calories you burn. Try to take the stairs or park further away than usual.
- Increase muscle mass. Strength training can increase your muscle mass, and muscle burns fat even when your not being active!
- Eat enough & don't skip meals. Many dieters eat less than their basic needs or skip meals in hope to lose weight, however, this is only slowing your metabolism down in order to save energy.
- Eat breakfast. Breakfast will jump start your metabolism and gives you energy for your day.
- Eat smaller, frequent meals to will keep your metabolism burning calories all day!
- Include protein at each meal. Protein is important to keep lean muscle mass. Examples to include: lean meats, low-fat yogurt, or a handful of nuts. Protein also has a high thermic effect, which means it will burn more calories digesting it.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day.A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that drinking water (about 17oz) increases metabolic rate by 30 percent in healthy men and women. The boost occurred within 10 minutes but reached a maximum 30-40 minutes after drinking.
About the Author
Back to Posts